We often receive data where the Date Format is incorrect and subsequently does not load as a genuine date. (Remember, a Date is numeric, so should align to the right) Which brings us to the topic of fixing incorrect dates.
Trying to force it to be Date using the Short Date Format does not work and using Text Formula can be complex and time consuming.
The Solution to fixing incorrect dates? Use Text-to-Columns!
- Highlight the cells (column) you want to convert
- Select Text-To-Columns from the Data Ribbon
- Next, Next to get to the 3rd step of the Wizard
- Select Date under the Column Data Format
- From the drop down select the Day, Month and Year order of the original data.
- And Finish! 😊